What should I do, and what should I learn?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by chromescythe, Feb 17, 2020.

1. chromescythe

chromescythe New Member

Hi, there! I'm just starting to dip my toes into the idea of game development. I haven't a clue about programming, but I can draw, write, and do a couple voices here and there, plus I have a few game ideas and stories I'd like to make. I'd like to know what I should research, experiment with, or learn in order to take steps towards this. I'm aware that this can and likely will take a huge amount of my time, years even, but that's not a concern. I just want to make it happen! I've done a little research already, so I may already have an idea, but I'm here for advice! Thank you in advance for your time and response!

P.S.: I'm sure college is a suggestion, but I'd rather not. Screw being in debt.

2. DumpsterFire

DumpsterFire New Member

I'm fairly new to this as well. I'm just going to pass on information that I've been told,as well as some stuff I have experience with.
    1. Think small for your first games. Trust me, attempting to make the game you've always wanted is temping. But you should definetly make smaller scale games first, to get a better feel for your engine, and so mistakes won't be as fatal.
    2. The engine I'm currently using is Unity. It's free, though you can get a paid subscription. It's fairly simple once you get a grip on it.
    3. This is something I wish I was told. *There's no shame in following tutorials. They're there for a reason.* They'll make you so much more confidant in your skills.
    4. College might be overkill, but if you can, definetly invest in some classes.
    5. If you're looking for a good language of coding, Python is a great place to start. It's where most beginners start, and it's pretty easy to learn.
    6. Studying designs of other games wouldn't be a bad idea. Choose a game you like, and see what makes it work. Is the music moving? Are the characters compelling? Is the design of the game something you like? You may not use this info now, but studying game design will be a useful skill when you need it.
    7. Fail. Fail a lot. It's going to happen. You're going to get frustrated. You're going to want to quit. Just take a break and come back to it. Your games may never be the thing you had in mind, but each one will be an important experience.

chromescythe likes this.
  3. Docgonzzo

Docgonzzo New Member

I have been working on making games for about 5 years now in my spare time. I haven't released anything yet but I'm gearing up for my first release soon.

The first bit of advice from DumsterFire above is "the Gospel", but you won't follow it - nobody does. It's difficult to understand just how much work goes into even the most simple of games. You really won't appreciate this until you've actually worked on something.

All that being said, you need to find something that your're passionate about to work on.

I started out working on something too big and had to stop, but I didn't realize this until well into development. I don't feel that time was wasted as I really learned a lot going through the process.

Hope that helps!

DumpsterFire and chromescythe like this.